Sunday, March 3, 2019

Phase 2


Two weeks ago my lung function was down to 45%. Last week I managed to pull it back up to… 47%. Yay.

So we moved on to Phase 2: IV antibiotics. Unfortunately, my most recent test results showed resistance to even more antibiotics, which partially explains the disaster in November. I’m pretty much down to Amikacin/Gentamicin/Tobramycin (all the same antibiotic class) and Zosyn when it comes to treating my chronic pseudomonas infection. The first 3 all have the potential to cause hearing problems, and we already know that Tobramycin gives me tinnitus (ringing in the ears), but the last time I took Amikacin it didn’t make the tinnitus worse so we’re trying that along with Zosyn. Unfortunately for me, Zosyn has to be infused every 6 hours, and it comes in bags that have to be hung from an IV pole instead of in the clever little self-infusing medi-balls that I usually get. So over the next couple weeks I won’t be getting much sleep and will be spending a lot of time chained to an IV pole. Sigh. Also, I’ve never taken Zosyn before, so here’s hoping it doesn’t turn out to be the next medication that I’m allergic to.

By the way, it only took a full week and doubling my dose of Prednisone, but the Vancomycin rash FINALLY faded. Everyone was quite impressed with its unusual stubbornness. Apparently my body REALLY doesn’t like Vancomycin.

In other news, after trying for the last 3 months, I finally managed to fail a walk test at clinic. This is actually a good thing! The last 2 times my oxygen dropped to juuuust above the insurance cutoff for in-home supplemental oxygen. I’ve been EXTREMELY grateful to the kind gentleman who gave me his old portable oxygen concentrator in December! There have been many times in recent months when I did need supplemental oxygen, but we just couldn’t get the required test results to justify it to the insurance company. Now I’ll be able to get an in-home concentrator that can provide a continuous flow of oxygen, as opposed to the portable concentrator that gives a puff of oxygen every time you breathe in. I tried to use the portable concentrator overnight once, but I couldn’t sleep with it because of the noise and the air puffing into my nose. A continuous flow concentrator will allow me to use oxygen overnight, hopefully giving my body a bit a of break and allowing me to get more restful sleep.

I also asked my team if there was any possibility of getting early access to Vertex’s “triple combo,” the new CF drug that’s on the verge of being released. They’re going to try, but told me not to get my hopes up, as they’ve not yet managed to get insurance approval for other patients in similar situations. And unfortunately, paying out of pocket really isn’t an option, because these drugs are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. The previous Vertex CF drug, Symdeko, costs $292,000 per year, and I expect the new drug to cost at least that much. So I’m not expecting anything, but who knows, maybe I’ll be the one in a million that actually gets insurance approval. Here’s hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment