Sunday, February 9, 2020

Up and down but mostly up


What a week!

Last weekend I decided it was time to do something new with my hair, since most of the purple had washed out. One box of hair dye and a few hours later, I had successfully turned my hair, my skin, and my bathtub a stunning shade of Sonic the Hedgehog blue. Apparently allowing a bottle of hair dye to fall into the hands of a novice was a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone considering using Splat’s Midnight Indigo, be warned: that stuff is basically a nuclear bomb of color! I loved what it did to my hair, but was less than thrilled about becoming half Smurf in the process, and about the Jackson Pollack paint spatters all over the bathroom. Fortunately most of the extraneous color came out with a lot of scrubbing, though I keep turning the bathtub blue all over again every time I take a shower. After all this I may never touch blue hair dye again, but at least it’s fun for now!

On Monday I had my monthly bronchoscopy. Usually it just leaves me groggy and with a moderately sore throat for about a day, but for some reason I had a much rougher recovery this time around. When I woke up afterwards my throat was KILLING me, I was nauseous and had a headache, and I was very groggy and wobbly. It took me days to feel human again, including one night where I didn’t sleep at all due to persistent coughing because my throat was so scratched. So that was loads of fun. On the plus side, my doctor said my airways definitely looked better than last time. Nothing was clogged with debris, and though the airways were narrowed, they weren’t AS narrow as the previous time. He said it’s still too early to see real results from the Sirolimus, but hopefully it will have an impact by the time I have my next bronchoscopy. And HOPEFULLY soon we’ll be able wait more than 4-6 weeks between bronchoscopies.

Side note, the Bronchoscopy Collection is growing nicely. Right now they all live on the coffee table, but a few more bronchoscopies and they may need to find a new home!

On Friday I had an appointment with my transplant team, and did pulmonary function testing. Since I was several days post-bronch, my airways were pretty much at their best. Even so, I was surprised to find out that my lung function was up to 90%! That’s the highest I’ve managed post-transplant! It was very exciting to break into the 90s, so of course Katherine and I had to celebrate with Classic Cake!

It was an up and down sort of week, but fortunately I did eventually recover from the bronch, and definitely ended on a positive note. Hopefully everything will continue on an upwards trend from here!




No comments:

Post a Comment