Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Stressful summer

It’s been quite a while since I wrote an update. Thankfully, my health has been pretty stable lately. It’s been 2 months since my last immunoglobulin infusion and my levels have remained steady, so hopefully I won’t need it more than 2-3 times a year. I still have some lingering pain and discomfort from my surgery in January, but it’s sloooowly improving, and is very manageable. After the medical nightmare I went through in the winter, I’m so grateful that things are FINALLY settling down in terms of my health.
 
Unfortunately, everything else has gone to hell in the meantime.
 
In the beginning of June, Katherine’s twin brother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. The aftermath has been indescribably horrible for her and her entire family. We’ve pretty much just been trying to keep our heads above water and manage basic life tasks ever since, with varying degrees of success. It didn’t help that Katherine’s birthday was a couple weeks ago, which of course was also her brother’s birthday. The last few months have been excruciatingly difficult, and it’s going to be a long time until life even comes close to being somewhat normal again.
 
And then, almost 3 weeks ago, my Zeide died. This was not a surprise, as baruch Hashem (thank G-d) he recently celebrated his 100th birthday! He lived a wonderful long life full of love and family, including children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I wasn’t able to join them for the birthday celebration, but fortunately I was able to visit my Zeide the following month, which ended up being about a month before he died. It’s been less than 2 years since my Bubba died, and it was very sad to once again find myself at Cedar Park and Beth El Cemeteries in Paramus, putting a stone on my Bubba’s grave while laying my Zeide to rest in his. Once again, it was beautiful to see how many people came together to pay their respects and share their love, and I really appreciated seeing my family and comforting each other, but we all wish it wasn’t under these circumstances. He was my last living grandparent. I miss him, and I’m grateful for the many years we had together.
 
I’m thankful that at least my body has been behaving while we’ve been dealing with so many stressors and heavy emotions. Honestly, this last year has been absolutely terrible. I pray that next month Rosh Hashana ushers in a new year that is full of sweetness and leaves all the bitterness behind.






No comments:

Post a Comment