Saturday, March 3, 2018

Kinda sick, yet again


I’ve been feeling pretty good the last couple weeks. I tolerated walking and other activities pretty well, and at pulmonary rehab my heart rate was noticeably lower and more stable. I’ve really been enjoying feeling mostly functional for the first time in months.

Wednesday morning I woke up shivering and knew I had a fever. Sure enough, the thermometer read 101.7. I thought I was probably coming down with yet another cold, but oddly I didn’t have any other symptoms – no runny nose, no sore throat, no congestion. I basically felt perfectly fine aside from fever fatigue. I reached out to my doctor, and we decided to start me on IV fluids immediately to help me weather whatever infection was brewing in my body.

Thursday I noticed some upper respiratory irritation and increased dry cough, but still nothing wildly significant. Thursday night however I became increasingly short of breath, and I had to do a nebulizer at 5am on Friday because my airways felt so inflamed that it actually hurt. My fever had also taken a turn for the dramatic and shot up to 103.1. Which meant I got to rush out erev Shabbos during a blizzard to see my doctor, because of course I have to do these things in the most stressful and inconvenient way possible. I thought I was going to be admitted, but surprisingly my pulmonary function numbers were the same as 2 weeks ago, so thankfully my lungs hadn’t taken a hit from the infection. They did a flu swab, but since it takes a few days to get the results I started taking Tamiflu just in case that’s what I have. I also started an oral antibiotic to help keep my CF infections in check while my body battles whatever virus I have. And then I went home and basically slept for the entire Shabbos.

I was EXTREMELY upset when I woke up sick on Wednesday. First of all, I had only felt decent for 2 weeks, and it wasn’t even 2 weeks since I stopped IVs. But also, Purim started Wednesday night, and I was worried that I would miss all the fun. I was particularly bitter after spending all Chanukah in the hospital. I just can’t seem to catch a break this winter!! Fortunately, my symptoms weren’t too bad Wednesday and Thursday, and I was able to costume up and get out and participate in the holiday. Though I wish this illness could have held off just a couple days, I’m VERY grateful that I still got to enjoy Purim!

I’m also very glad that I got to show off the costume I worked so hard on: A rabid Eagles fan, complete with a Philly street pole to climb! And of course, shalach manos in Eagles green, including homemade green hamentashen!





1 comment:

  1. Your custome looked amazing! I'm so glad that you got to enjoy Purim!! Stay awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete