Friday, August 14, 2020

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

Some of you know that I’m VERY nosy when I’m in the hospital. I usually leave my door open during the day so I can hear hallways happenings and keep track of what’s going on around me. I LOVE some juicy hospital drama! When I first arrived to the unit, I was disappointed to see that I was all the way at the end of a hallway, thus limiting my opportunities for spying. Little did I know that across the hall is the most dramatic room on the floor!

I knew something was up as soon as I arrived and heard music BLASTING from my neighbor’s room, to the point that both the transport tech and I commented on it. I ended up making eye contact with my new neighbor, and tried to be friendly by saying “Sounds like a party! Can we join?” But she just… stared… and possibly looked a little angry? I felt bad and hoped she didn’t think I was judging her music.

A few hours later, however, I definitely WAS judging her music. The party was still going strong at midnight, and though I’m a night owl, I felt bad for my other neighbors who were presumably trying to sleep. Even with my door closed I could still hear the music pretty clearly. I asked a nurse why they didn’t close her door, and he implied that she’s been here a while and there have been some issues when things aren’t the way she wants them. He did feel bad though and offered earplugs. I joked about playing my own loud music and starting a competition, and he said someone else actually did that, and it resulted in a lot of yelling back and forth between the 2 rooms! So I guess I’ll save that plan for if I get REALLY bored.

The next day the music was off, but I discovered that my neighbor is a LOUD talker. I clearly heard every conversation that happened in that room all day long. She seemed friendly, and clearly has been here for a while, as she cheerfully greeted every nurse and tech by name when they passed her room. So I decided to make it my mission to become friends! When I went for a walk up and down the hallway, I made eye contact, smiled, waved, and said hello – and she reciprocated! Success! Later I got some non-kosher pudding on my lunch tray, and I asked a nurse to give it to my neighbor and let her know it was from me. Shortly afterwards I heard her very enthusiastic response loud and clear! When I went for another walk I asked how the pudding was, and she said it was delicious and happily thanked me. So I THINK I’m officially in her good graces!

During the day she mostly chatted (loudly) with a visitor and watched TV, but later at night the music was back. Conveniently I mostly agree with her taste in music, so I found myself in the bizarre position of listening and singing along to music coming from another room! I even tried an experiment and opened up Shazam to see if the music was loud enough for it to identify songs. And the result was… YUP!

Fortunately I’m pretty laid back and the goings on across the hall mostly amuse me. This isn’t ugly drama like screaming and moaning, or annoying drama like never ending bed alarms. I have a little clay left, so I might even make a Pole Person and send it over with a nurse. The nurses thought she would LOVE that –  and I know I’ll definitely hear her reaction!

You gotta make your own entertainment when you’re stuck in the hospital. This time it seems like I hit the jackpot!

No comments:

Post a Comment