Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Counting down!

The countdown is on!

Tomorrow I will finally finish a 2 week course of Cefiderocol and hopefully be rid of both pneumonia and Pseudomonas. Nausea and GI issues are now mostly under control, aside from IV antibiotic induced side effects which should hopefully clear up once I’m IV free. I also started Trikafta will no ill effects thus far. We’re discussing possibly starting a nebulized antibiotic so I can get onto a home treatment routine that will hopefully prevent Pseudomonas from causing more problems. We’ve just about gotten everything sorted out and squared away at this point, which means I can finally. Go. HOME!

Today I got to see more of HUP’s Covid discharge ritual, as a Covid patient was actually discharged from the floor I’m on. In addition to hearing Here Comes the Sun play over the intercom, I saw the staff line the hallway and clap and cheer as the patient left the unit. I feel like I’ve now had the full hospitalized-during-a-pandemic experience!

We had all kinds of hallway drama and excitement today. An angry and possibly confused patient roaming the halls at 1am yelling at someone on the phone, an accidental code call that sent everyone scrambling, said code call malfunctioning and ringing for an hour before they could turn it off, another patient who refused to stay in bed and triggered the bed alarm every five minutes… The last 20 hours have been the kind of day that nurses HATE. I, of course, am loving it. My room is right next to the nurse’s station, so I have a front row seat to watch all the chaos. I do wonder how my old neighbor is doing though, and if she’s still gifting Founders 14 with her taste in music – whether they want it or not!

The plan for tomorrow is to finish my last dose of Cefiderocol, pull my PICC line, and send me HOME! I’m honestly a little nervous to be IV free since the last time we pulled my PICC line I ended up in the ER less than 2 weeks later, but I’m hopeful that this time stubborn Pseudomonas has finally been evicted. I’ll find out for sure in a few weeks when we do follow up testing. But whatever the outcome, I’m VERY much looking forward to being home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment