Friday, December 31, 2021

Going home!

I’m. Going. HOME!
 
In a surprising turn of events, everyone somehow managed to get it together despite the impending holiday weekend! I got my PICC line placed yesterday, and home infusion will be coming out this evening to get me all set up. So an unexpected miracle actually happened, and I’m going HOME!
 
I am VERY relieved to finally get out of here, but the next several weeks will NOT be a picnic. The antibiotic I’m taking is given every 6 hours, which is difficult enough, but it also runs for 3 hours at a time, which basically means I’ll be running infusions almost all day long. And last time I did this antibiotic on home infusion they couldn’t fit the full dose into 1 bag, so I actually had to run 2 separate 1.5 hour infusions 4 times a day. It’s a pretty grueling infusion schedule, and I won’t be getting many consecutive hours of sleep during the next several weeks.
 
Huge shout out to both Katherine and my mom, who have both offered to learn how to run my infusions and give me a break. I don’t talk enough in these updates about the awesome support they’ve given me through one medical crisis after the next. They’ve been a terrific team since before my transplant, always keeping me company in the hospital and bringing me whatever I need, running me to the ER at the drop of a hat, taking me to various appointments and procedures. I don’t know what I’d do without them! And then there’s all of the day-to-day love and support that Katherine constantly gives even when it’s not a crisis. Having a partner with a life-threatening medical condition is incredibly stressful and exhausting, but she just keeps pushing through it. I still don’t know why she signed up for this crazy life with me, but I am so endlessly grateful that she did!
 
I’m in for a long haul here, and I’m definitely not looking forward to it, but at least I’ll finally be HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment