Friday, December 30, 2016

Follow up

I had a doctor’s appointment on Wednesday, and my pulmonary function numbers were slightly up from the previous week. It looks like I did benefit slightly from additional time on IV antibiotics, but it wasn’t significant enough to go through the hassle of getting me another PICC line and starting them up again, so I am officially IV free! In terms of the DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis, aka clot), I need to be on anticoagulant medication for the next 6 weeks and then have an ultrasound to see if/how the clot is improving. Fortunately I’m on a newer drug that can be taken orally instead of via injection, and doesn’t need weekly blood tests, so I just pop a pill twice a day and I’m set. The main risk, of course, is injury: Since anticoagulants reduce your body’s ability to clot, any injuries have the potential to be more serious or bleed uncontrollably. Fortunately I have a pretty chill lifestyle, and I’m only minimally klutzy, so I should be ok. Just don’t invite me to join you in any extreme sports for the next few months, ok?

Unfortunately, there will likely be some permanent damage to the clotted veins. The pain and swelling are expected to improve (and already have!), but those veins may always be a little sluggish and that arm/hand may be prone to swelling. More concerning is that those veins won’t be able to be used for PICC lines in the future, which could be an issue over the years as I continue getting PICC lines and other veins start wearing out. Also, since I will be getting more PICC lines, we need to try and keep this from happening again – once you’ve had one DVT, you’re at greater risk for having another one. So I’ll be having a consult with hematology to determine whether some medication changes could have contributed to the clot, what other meds we could try instead, and whether I should be put on anticoagulants preventively whenever I get PICC lines in the future. Fun fun!

Overall, I am very grateful that this wasn’t worse, and that I’ve passed the main risk period for serious complications. And I’m even more grateful that I’m breathing and walking SO MUCH BETTER than I was when this month started. Onwards to better things!

No comments:

Post a Comment