Thursday, December 21, 2017

Going home!

I’m going home!

Even though I’m still having some lingering viral symptoms, I convinced the doctors that I’m better off recovering in the comfort of my own home. They can’t do anything for a virus anyway, so getting a good night’s sleep in my own bed is probably the best medicine. I’ll still be on IV antibiotics and fluids for at least another week, but I knew from the start that I’d be finishing treatment at home. I just didn’t expect to still be here over 2 weeks later!

Now that the port is healing up and has stopped hurting, I’m really appreciating it. My skin is a bit sensitive to tape, and I often had issues with the PICC line dressings. Part of the problem was that the tape was near the crook of my elbow, which meant it was constantly tugging and pulling as I moved my arm, sometimes causing welts. The port is so much more comfortable. I’m still a little itchy from the tape, but it’s way better than the discomfort around the PICC lines. I’ll also get to grab an IV free shower today, because they’re de-accessing (aka removing the IV needle from) the port before I leave, and the homecare nurse won’t be coming out to re-access it until about 7pm. So I’ll get a few hours of freedom that wouldn’t be possible if I had a PICC line.

I’m usually an incoherent mess after getting home from the hospital, as weeks of exhaustion come crashing in on me all at once. But hopefully I’ll be feeling much better after a few nights of uninterrupted sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment