Monday, December 18, 2017

Just kidding...

Things were going so well…

I was fever free Wednesday and Thursday, but it came back on Friday. Friday through Sunday I had on and off low-grade fevers, along with increased dry cough and throat/upper respiratory irritation. Due to this they did another viral swab, which finally came back today, and it turns out I’ve picked up a viral respiratory infection. It’s possible I caught it right before coming in and it just hadn’t incubated long enough to show up on the initial viral swab, but it’s more likely I picked it up in the hospital. Hospitals are notorious for spreading infections despite all their attempts to prevent it. I’ve been lucky until now, so I guess I was overdue for this.

The good news is, I’m already on IV antibiotics, so the infection can’t really trigger a CF exacerbation like it usually would. The bad news is, just like any cold, there isn’t really anything to do besides treat the symptoms and wait for it to pass. I’ll be contagious until I have 24 hours fever free. I was making good progress today, but tonight the fever returned, so the clock has reset. My throat has been killing me and my voice is completely shot, and the whole thing is wearing me out.

I also coughed up blood as soon as I woke up this morning, and my mucus was bloody through the afternoon, so that didn’t exactly help. On the plus side, I’m doing much better with eating, and actually managed a solid meal today. I’m also very grateful to Mirel Adler for finding and bringing me chicken soup, which has been good for easing my stomach back into real food as well as soothing my throat.

Despite all this, we’re still working towards sending me home on IV antibiotics sometime midweek. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment