Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The best laid plans...


Well, after making it through the Jewish calendar without incident over the last several months, I guess I was overdue for having a holiday get messed up.

A year ago, I was extremely ill and was admitted to the hospital on Purim. A couple weeks later I unexpectedly found myself being worked up for a lung transplant. I've been a little freaked out thinking about that, and eagerly anticipated having a MUCH better Purim this year.

My Purim plans were already small. Between cold and flu season and the Corona virus, my doctor strongly encouraged me to avoid crowds, particularly crowds in small enclosed spaces. So no shul or parties or big communal seuda for me. But I still made plans, and I was really looking forward to them! I spent hours making lung lollipops and cookies for my fancy lung-themed shalach manos, and was excited to show off my costume while delivering them. I've had my costume planned for a year, ever since they started my transplant workup. I OBVIOUSLY needed to be Frankenstein's monster now that I'm cobbled together with parts from multiple people! For seuda I was going to join an immunocompromised friend whose journey to bone marrow transplant last year closely paralleled my own journey to lung transplant. Since neither of us could go to any large seudas, we decided to make our own. My Purim celebrations would be slightly curtailed, but I would still have a nice holiday, and I was very excited for it.

Aaaand then I woke up feverish today.

Thankfully no other symptoms except a headache, fatigue, and a slight increase in coughing, but my doctor still wanted to see me and get testing done. So instead of delivering shalach manos and having a seuda, I got to rush to Philly for an appointment. My chest x-ray and bloodwork came back normal, but it'll take at least a day to get the results from the viral swab. If we identify a virus but my symptoms remain mild, I'll be able to treat it at home. If the viral panel comes back negative but I'm still running a fever, I'll have to go to the ER for a chest CT scan and a COVID-19 test so we can figure out what's causing my symptoms. And if my symptoms get significantly worse, I'll have to go inpatient for treatment.

On the plus side, I haven't had a fever for the last several hours, so hopefully it'll stay gone and this will have been a lot of fuss over nothing. But that's the reality of post-transplant life: any sign of infection is pounced on and treated aggressively, lest it turn into something worse. Here's hoping I can weather this one at home!

I did manage to catch a megilla reading at the Adlers (while wearing a mask, staying on the outskirts, and trying not to touch or breathe on anyone or anything) before rushing to Philly. I also got to see some people and enjoy the in-person reactions to my costume and shalach manos, and some of my wonderful friends delivered the rest of my shalach manos for me. And just for fun I wore my costume to my doctor's appointment, and enjoyed watching each member of my medical team do a double take as they walked in the door. I had already given them lung lollipops and cookies last week at a follow up appointment - which they greatly enjoyed!! - so they basically got the full Purim experience!

So that was my Purim. Not exactly what I had planned! But at least I managed to stay out of the hospital this year, and hopefully I'll continue to do so for the foreseeable future!





(If you want to see more of my shalach manos, I made a video of the whole cookie and lollipop making process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ARL9xdQ-4)







No comments:

Post a Comment