Wednesday, November 14, 2018

One step forward, three steps back

Well, I *was* improving…

I finally started feeling like a human being again over the weekend. My cough gradually eased, I was finally able to get some sleep, and the fevers were lower and less frequent. I thought I was finally on the verge of kicking whatever virus I had, and that the antibiotics could start working on the underlying CF exacerbation.

Aaaand then everything fell apart.

On Monday the fever was back with a vengeance. It spiked repeatedly all day, and went higher than it had during the previous weeks. I was also increasingly short of breath. Tuesday was downright awful. Not only was I feverish all day, my oxygen levels were barely hanging on and dropped with the slightest activity. I spent the day in a panting exhausted haze until things finally eased off a bit around 7pm.

Given how terrible yesterday went, I was pretty sure I’d be admitted to the hospital at my doctor’s appointment today. What I wasn’t expecting was the worst pulmonary function test results of my entire life. Lately my FEV1 has been topping out at 60%, and at my last appointment it was 57%. Today, it was 45%. Which was dramatically bad, but at least made me feel validated in how utterly awful I’ve been feeling.

My doctor thinks that I have a virus on top of a severe CF exacerbation. We’re going to try a different IV antibiotic since the current one apparently didn’t do much. Unfortunately, the infections in my lungs are resistant to most antibiotics, and one antibiotic which has been very effective in the past ended up causing tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and can cause hearing loss. Thankfully, 11 months later the tinnitus is mostly gone and not intrusive, but we’re still extremely hesitant to risk my hearing by using Tobramycin again. Hopefully the new antibiotic will be effective and get me back on track, but if it isn’t we may have no choice but to risk a round of Tobramycin. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

Unfortunately, HUP is packed, and the only way to admit me is through the ER. 3 hours and counting! On the plus side, they put me in a private waiting room to protect me from exposure to additional infection. Hooray for medical fragility!

No comments:

Post a Comment