Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Struggling

So things have been less than stellar around here…

Even with supplemental oxygen I was having trouble breathing. Things finally stabilized once we bumped me up to 4 liters of supplemental oxygen, but even with that my oxygen saturation was still a bit low. I was also REALLY struggling with “tightness,” which is how I describe the feeling in my chest when airways are inflamed and irritated. The tightness was so bad that it prevented me from taking deep breaths and clearing out the congestion, instead leaving me with a dry hacking cough. I was also struggling with significant stomach issues, and all the coughing didn’t exactly help with nausea. All in all I was not living my best life.

After a few days with no progress, the doctors decided to try adding another antibiotic called Amikacin. Amikacin is in the same family as Tobramycin, and also has a risk of hearing loss, but less of a risk than Tobramycin. They also decided to start waking me for nebulizers every 4 hours to prevent me from losing ground overnight. So for the last few days I’ve been even more sleep deprived than usual in addition to all the stomach and respiratory symptoms. I’ve pretty much been sleeping most of the day and feeling pretty gross during my few waking hours.

Yesterday we finally saw a small amount of progress. Various medications finally kicked in and started getting the stomach issues under control. I was also able to lower the supplemental oxygen for the first time, and maintained decent oxygen saturation even with only 2 liters of supplemental oxygen. Unfortunately, my chest is still really tight and I’m still not moving air well. They’re going to try increasing the dose of Amikacin, but if there isn’t real improvement within the next few days we’ll have to move on to Tobramycin instead.

This has been my worst CF exacerbation in a very long time. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment