Sunday, February 20, 2022

A plan at last!

We finally have a plan! It isn’t a particularly fun plan, but it is a plan nonetheless.

I had a follow up with my transplant doctor on Tuesday. We confirmed that Lump and Lump Jr. are now smaller after Lump popped, drained, and never grew back. We also confirmed that Other Lump has gotten bigger, which was obvious as it has been red and swollen for at least a week. And so, we finally came up with a treatment plan: surgery to drain Other Lump, followed by a 2 week course of IV amikacin. Unfortunately that requires being admitted for a few days while they stabilize the dosage before sending me home to finish up.

But what about the bacteriophages?? Well, we’re still waiting for Yale to turn them into a clinical grade product for me. If they’re ready before I finish the amikacin, I’ll probably start them immediately. If they’re ready afterwards, and the amikacin takes care of the infection, then we’ll save them for the next infection (because we all know I ALWAYS bring the drama). At this point I’m honestly kind of hoping they aren’t ready, because since they’re a weird experimental treatment they have to be given in the hospital, and I’m really not in the mood for a 2 week stay at Hotel HUP. So I’m just gonna hope that amikacin does the trick without damaging my hearing.

Of course, just as we came up with a plan, Other Lump decided it wasn’t getting enough attention. Barely a day after my appointment it burst dramatically and released an absolutely appalling amount of pus. It was basically my own private episode of Dr. Pimple Popper, and since I refuse to watch that show I didn’t exactly enjoy the experience. It then proceeded to continue draining for the next 16 hours or so, which I also didn’t enjoy. On the plus side, Other Lump looks and feels much better now! But my doctor still wants me to get it cleaned out, so I’m scheduled for surgery on Monday.

The plan for today is to admit me and get me started on IV amikacin. We’re hoping to pull off a direct admission this time instead of putting me through yet another ER visit. I’ll also get to experience the fancy new hospital building since this time I’ll be assigned to a surgical team and all the ORs are in the new building. If I have to be stuck at HUP, at least I get to do it in style! So I’ll be spending the rest of my weekend sitting around waiting for someone to call and either tell me that a bed is ready, or that I need to go to the ER and get admitted from there, and then settling into the hospital. Do I know how to party or what?

As not-fun as all this is, I am DEFINITELY looking forward to eventually being DONE with this round of drama. This stupid lump saga has dragged on for way too long, and I am extremely ready to move on with my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment