Monday, February 21, 2022

Fakeout

The good news is they actually managed to direct admit me and I didn’t have to go to the ER. The bad news is they didn’t do surgery today. Instead I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink after midnight, waited hangrily until 2:45pm, and then found out that they wouldn’t be able to fit me into the schedule after all. So that was fun. And I get to do it all over again tomorrow!
 
My transplant doctor is actually working in the hospital this week, which is convenient, and he was not impressed. Apparently they assured him that if he admitted me yesterday they would get me onto the surgery schedule today. There are no guarantees of course, but he thinks he made enough people feel bad enough about it today to get me on the schedule tomorrow. In his words he gave off “strong disappointed dad vibes,” so hopefully that’ll be enough!
 
I will say though that the new hospital definitely is fancy. The rooms are larger and have a much better layout than the ones in the old building. The TV is as big as I am, and has a screen with all the info about my providers and treatment plan that used to go on a whiteboard. It updates automatically in real time, so no more issues with people forgetting to change the info. Also, every time someone enters the room their name and picture pop up at the bottom of the screen, which is great for someone like me who is just terrible with names. The blinds are motorized and can be controlled from your bed, and the door and windows looking into the hallway have this cool glass that you can turn from clear to opaque with the touch of a button like magic. It’s also QUIET! I barely hear any noise from the hallway and haven’t heard a peep from my neighbors. So even though it sucks being stuck here, at least I’m hospitaling in style!
 
In a few more minutes I’ll be starting starvation round 2. Here’s hoping it goes much faster than it did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment