Wednesday, February 23, 2022

It's done!

They got me in! It took until around 2pm so it was still a long hangry day, but at least it’s done!
 
Thankfully surgery went well and they’re pretty confident that they were able to clean out all the infected tissue. They ended up doing both sides, which I’m actually happy about because I don’t want to have to come back and do this again later. The right side was able to be stitched up, but the left side has a drain in it to continue clearing stuff out. It’s basically a tube sticking out of me with a ball at the end that grossness (mostly blood) drips into all day long. Apparently both the drain and the stitches will probably need to stay in for a few weeks. I haven’t actually seen my incisions yet because they haven’t taken the dressing off, but I had a plastic surgeon working on me so I’m sure they’ll be minimal. I’m also pretty sure they cut along my existing transplant scars so it’s not like they’ll be anything new.
 
We’ve also started me on IV amikacin to finish clearing out any remnants of infection. That will be a 2 week course, but the good news is it’s only once a day! What a breeze! I actually don’t think I’ve ever had such a light infusion schedule and I’m super grateful for it, especially after how torturous my last infusion schedule was. Let’s all just pray that it doesn’t do any significant damage my hearing in the process.
 
And the best news is that maybe, HOPEFULLY, I just might be able to go home tomorrow! Everything is looking on track for discharge, but I know from past experience not to believe it until they’re actually wheeling me out the door. Here’s hoping!
 
It has been a LONG road dealing with these abscesses, but I’m finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully these will be the last steps to getting me back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment