Sunday, July 15, 2018

Breathing is overrated


Of course I can’t be a STANDARD CF patient, that would be BORING.

The prednisone helped somewhat, but not entirely. I stopped having crazy coughing fits, but still struggled with upper respiratory irritation and shortness of breath. We tried adding in an oral antibiotic and IV hydration, but it didn’t seem to help, and I actually ended up feeling even more fatigued and out of it as time went on. On Friday my doctor brought me in for an appointment, but even though I was struggling with so many symptoms, my pulmonary function numbers were the same as 2 months ago when I felt great! Despite this, my doctor could hear that my chest was unusually congested and see that I was visibly exhausted. No matter what the numbers said, it was obvious that something was brewing in my chest and that it was time for IV antibiotics.

Fortunately, I’m not so sick as to need to be hospitalized, so I’ve been able to get everything started in the comfort of my own home. Sooo much nicer to skip the hospital piece! I just need to remember that even though I’m home, I’m still in the midst of a CF exacerbation, which means I need to ramp up my nebulizer and chest PT routine in addition to the IV hydration and antibiotics.

I pretty much expected to be on IVs at some point this summer, since in recent years I haven’t managed much more than 4 months between CF exacerbations. I’m not even that upset about it, because I actually had a stretch of unusually good health during the last few months, which I really appreciated! The only catch is that I’m currently in the midst of moving, which is a little difficult when you’re exhausted, short of breath, and on IVs. But it’s not the first time I’ve managed a major life change while in the midst of a CF exacerbation, and I’m sure it won’t be the last. At least this is a GOOD change! Fortunately for me, Katherine’s apartment is right upstairs, so it’s pretty much my easiest move ever. We’re also trying to move things slowly over time to make it less strenuous for me.

On the plus side, doing IVs now means that I should hopefully be at my best just in time for Martelle’s wedding! She gave me strict orders that I am not to be sick, so it’s a good thing I’m getting this out of the way rather than risk her wrath. A few weeks of IVs now is a small price to pay to be able to celebrate properly later!

No comments:

Post a Comment