Monday, July 23, 2018

This patient needs ice cream, STAT!


Funny hospital story: So at HUP, you can’t just order kosher meals. You have to be entered into the system as being on a kosher diet. This isn’t difficult, and my care team put in the order as soon as I asked. HOWEVER, food services then treats this like any other medical diet, and will ONLY send you items on their very specific Kosher Diet list. I’m 90% sure their ice cream cups are kosher, but I couldn’t find out for sure, because food services absolutely refused to send me one since it wasn’t on The List. The dietician tried to intervene on my behalf. My nurse spent ages explaining to them why this was ridiculous. No dice. Finally, however, the beleaguered food services staff said that she could send up ice cream to stock the fridge in the pantry for the whole unit, and then my nurse could “choose whether or not to administer the ice cream to the patient.” We all laughed uproariously at this, and discussed the various ways in which my medically approved ice cream could be administered.

Oh, and after all that, do you think they ever stocked the unit fridge with ice cream? NOPE!

I’m still on IV antibiotics and hydration for at least another week, but I am SO GLAD to be home, in my very comfy bed, with access to a kitchen full of whatever food I want -- INCLUDING ICE CREAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment