Sunday, December 2, 2018

Lekavod Shabbos

Most Sabbath-observant Jews do something special each week lekavod Shabbos, to give honor to Shabbos. Dressing in nicer clothing, having fancier food, setting a beautiful table… anything to show that Shabbos is special and different from the rest of the week. I’m pretty limited here in the hospital, but I was feeling well enough this week that I wanted to do something more than just plugging in my little electric “candle” and eating dinner. So about an hour before candle lighting I started puttering around my hospital room, throwing out trash and organizing my belongings. I didn’t have the energy to deal with showering and getting dressed up, but I cleaned up with a washcloth and changed into a fresh pair of pajamas.

It may not seem like much, but right now that was a decent amount of exertion for me. As I started panting, I found myself murmuring between breaths “lekavod Shabbos… lekavod Shabbos…” This effort is for Shabbos. This oxygen is for Shabbos. I’m trying, Hashem. I may not be able to do much right now, and I don’t know why You’re making this so hard, but I’m still here and I’m still doing what I can.

Sometimes life limits us and it feels like we can’t do enough. But really, it doesn’t necessarily matter how big or beautiful the outcome is. What matters most is that we keep making the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment