Thursday, December 13, 2018

In it for the long haul


Well, that didn’t exactly go as I had hoped.

At the end of October my lung function was at 57%. Just 2 weeks later, despite IV antibiotics, it had unexpectedly plummeted to 45%. After three weeks in the hospital and an additional week of home IV antibiotics, my lung function now is up to… 48%.

I knew I was nowhere near my baseline of 60%, but I thought I had at least made it back into the 50s. It was definitely disappointing to see so little progress after so much treatment. I’m certainly doing much better now than I was 6 weeks ago, but no matter what we try I just can’t seem to get very far. My lack of progress doesn’t make sense, because various tests have shown that my infections SHOULD be susceptible to the 4 IV antibiotics we’ve tried so far. But for some reason, during each of the last 2 rounds I only made a little progress before stalling. We’re going to try 1 more IV antibiotic and see if that finally makes a difference. Unfortunately, that antibiotic is Tobramycin, which caused tinnitus (ringing in the ears) back in January that never fully faded. Hopefully a brief course won’t have auditory side effects, but I will be monitoring things carefully, and we will stop at the first sign of any problems.

If I still don’t have any progress after a week of Tobra, we’re going to take a break from IV antibiotics and give my body some time to heal on its own. We’re also going to do some testing to see if it’s possible that my terrible reflux is contributing to the problem, and if maybe some of this is being caused by aspirating things into my lungs. Unfortunately, the steroid which is helping control the inflammation can also exacerbate reflux, so it might actually be making things worse. I’m in the process of starting a monthly injection used for severe asthma in the hopes that it will enable me to get off of or at least lower the steroid.

On a positive note, I do have a terrific hashgacha pratis (divine providence) story! While hospitalized I met one of my neighbors as we both walked up and down the halls getting our exercise. He doesn’t have CF, but he did have a lung transplant back in March. It turns out that he had multiple oxygen concentrators that he no longer needed, and he and his wife had been looking for a person or agency to donate them to in order to pay it forward. This week they dropped one off at the outpatient clinic, and I am now the proud owner of my very own portable oxygen concentrator! This is GREAT, as my oxygen continues to drop with exertion, but not low enough to qualify for supplemental oxygen to be covered by insurance. These machines cost thousands of dollars and I never would have gotten one on my own. Having supplemental oxygen available will make it easier for me to be active and get back on track with exercise so I can build my strength back up. So, I HAPPENED to be next door to this gentleman, who HAPPENED to have a spare oxygen concentrator, EXACTLY when I could benefit from in-home supplemental oxygen for the first time in my life but had no way to get it. Thank you Hashem!!

This has definitely been a long haul. It’s still unclear how much longer of a haul I can expect, or what the eventual outcome will be. Which is, honestly, frightening, frustrating, and discouraging. But I am still hopeful that things can get better than they are now, whether through treatment or simply with time. And even if they don’t, I am also confident that I will learn to adjust to my new normal and figure out how to live life within it, just like I have in the past. One way or another, I will roll with the punches and come out on top, just like I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment