Monday, May 9, 2022

The medically low-key life

Things have been about as medically quiet as they get for me. That doesn’t mean no complications, but it does mean nothing particularly dire. One frustrating thing is that I’ve had continuous lung infections since finishing IV antibiotics. In March I cultured staph, but fortunately it was an easily treatable one that was resolved with oral antibiotics. Then in April I cultured my old nemesis pseudomonas. I haven’t had much in the way of symptoms however, so we haven’t jumped into any drastic treatments yet. I already do a nebulized antibiotic on a 1 month on, 1 month off schedule, and April was my off month, so as long as I remain mostly symptom free we’ll just see if it clears up by the end of May. I’m also having an appointment with my ENT to see if there’s anything else we can do with my miserable sinuses to keep the infections from dripping down into my lungs.
 
The main symptom I’ve had is fatigue, but it’s hard to tell how much of that is from the infection and how much is just my life. I’ve struggled with poor sleep for decades, but I definitely feel like it got worse after transplant, so that obviously contributes to fatigue. I think I’ve heard that insomnia and fatigue aren’t uncommon after transplant, so it could just be transplant life. And I’m sure battling a pseudomonas infection doesn’t help. All I know is that I’ve been VERY tired lately, which makes it really difficult to get anything done and kinda sucks the life out of me. Here’s hoping that improves along with the pseudomonas infection.
 
I also had my first post-transplant dermatology appointment. You’re supposed to have one every year after transplant, but due to Covid we pushed off most non-essential appointments. Penn now has a special transplant dermatology program though, and they’re good about making sure we all get in to see them. I knew that transplant recipients are at higher risk for all kinds of cancers, but I didn’t realize that the risk of skin cancers in particular is ridiculously high. Thankfully my skin looked good this time, but the doctor said that 3-5 years after transplant is when they typically start seeing skin cancers. And guess whose 3 year lungiversary is this week?? So that’s another worry to add to my long list of fears. I’ll definitely be more cautious about covering up and using sunscreen!
 
On the non-medical front, we unfortunately have some sad news. After having a bad fall last summer and then struggling for months with one medical issue after the next, Katherine’s mother passed away last month. It was a strange mix of unexpected and expected: unexpected, because before the fall she was doing fine, and expected, because she declined for months before finally being sent home on hospice. Things were pretty awful at the end, and it was a mercy when she finally passed. It’s been difficult, but Katherine is holding up ok, and we all hope her mother is finally at peace.
 
On a brighter note, I’ve really been appreciating being able to get out and socialize a bit instead of being on full Covid lockdown. I went out for half of the holiday meals on Pesach, which was AMAZING and made the holiday SO much more enjoyable. I’ve also been going out for some Shabbos meals. And in an effort to get some exercise, I started taking lessons with my friend Abrielle Fuerst, who teaches martial arts professionally. So that’s guaranteed once a week that I get out of the house and see a friend, and I get to learn how to be a ninja on top of it! I am playing with NUNCHUCKS, people! Watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment